My Account / Order Status
Panzer Skid Plates
Timing Belt Kits
Injection Pump Seal Kits
Broken Block Repair Kits
New Beetle Handle Repair
Panzer Replacement Parts
What is MK4, MK5, etc.?
Site Help / FAQ
(Your shopping cart is empty)
Timing Belt Kits
1998 - 2003 New Beetle TDI
Metalnerd ALH Timing Belt Tool Kit
Finally, a great quality TDI tool set at a very nice price with all tools for changing the timing belt on the 1998-2003 New Beetle TDI and mid 1999 through 2003 Golf and Jetta TDI! These are must have tools for setting proper TDI injection timing.
1. Timing sprocket holding tool. This is the long blue tool above. The pins on the left stick into the spokes of the cam sprocket and allow you to loosen or tighten the bolt holding the cam sprocket. It is imperative that you use this tool when you tighten the cam sprocket bolt since the cam locking plate is not designed to hold the cam while applying torque to the bolt. (You will break the cam if you try!) This tool is also used on the earlier 1Z and AHU engine to hold the intermediate sprocket when removing its center bolt during a water pump or oil seal change.
2. Cam locking plate for all 1996-2003 TDI. This is the shiny "W" shaped tool at the bottom center of the picture. It inserts into the slot at the driver's side of the cam to lock it into Top Dead Center.
3. Timing belt tensioner spanner wrench for all 1996-2003 TDI (item with the black handle on left of picture). In addition to allowing precise tensioning of your timing belt during the install process, this tool was custom designed by Metalnerd to allow retensioning of the ALH timing tensioner after the motor mount bracket has been reinstalled since the timing belts can stretch a little bit from use. No other manufacturer's wrench will allow this. Very handy!
4. Cam sprocket puller for mid 1999-2003 Golf/Jetta and 1998-2003 New Beetle ALH engines (blue rectangular device on right of picture). The powdered metal cam sprocket on the ALH engine is a tight interference fit and almost always requires the precise and even pulling power of a custom fit puller like this one. The earlier TDI engines do not require a puller to remove the cam sprocket.
5. Injection pump locking pin for mid 1999-2003 Golf/Jetta and 1998-2003 New Beetle ALH engines (pictured with red plastic ball attached). This pin is inserted into the injection pump to lock it into Top Dead Center (Critical for proper TDI pump timing).
6. Crankshaft locking tool for mid 1999-2003 ALH engines. This is the shiny pear-shaped tool in center of picture. This "no-torque" tool simply holds the crankshaft firmly at the Top Dead Center position since it always wants to roll off TDC. Saves the headache of constantly checking whether you are at TDC during the last steps of a belt change.
7. Stubby 5mm Allen socket for removing the seven Allen bolts holding down the valve cover on mid 1999-2003 Golf/Jetta and 1998-2003 New Beetle ALH engines. This socket is the shiny item in left center of picture just below blue sprocket holding bar.
MK4 Panzer Skid Plate with Full Metal Jacket
ALH TDI Timing Belt Kit
Pentofrost SF Lifetime G12 Coolant 1.5 Liter
$9.00 - This Price is Only Available with Purchase of Timing Belt Kit or Other Product
| Total Reviews:
Write a review »
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
October 30, 2013
Reviewer: Jeff from Richmond Va
The tool set is absolutely essential in doing a timing belt swap and the one that Diesel Geek sells is complete. Without it you might as well just take the car to a garage to have the work done. 100% essential.
Was this review helpful to you?
Send Us Feedback